Early Childhood Screening
Rochester Public Schools wants to connect with you before your child enters kindergarten. We will share information on how and when to register, documents required for attending public school, programs and resources to help prepare you and your child, and other essentials. We also offer programming for families with young children, ages birth to up to kindergarten enrollment. To be sure that you are receiving information the District, complete the student online enrollment form.
The State of Minnesota requires that all children check in for a development screening before entering a public kindergarten program. Rochester Public Schools provides a comprehensive early childhood screening for any child three years and age or older at no charge. During an early childhood screening our staff will check your child’s vision, hearing, growth, immunizations status, skills in thinking, communication and language, large and small muscle control, and social and emotional development.
- Is Early Childhood Screening a kindergarten readiness test?
- Who completes the Early Childhood Screening?
- My child receives special education services from Rochester Public Schools. Do I still need to schedule a screening?
- How old should my child be when he or she is screened?
- Is there a charge for the screening?
- When will I get the results of the screening?
- My child has regular check ups with my family physician. Do I still need to schedule an Early Childhood Screening?
- I don't drive. Can you help me get my child to the screening?
- What if English is my second language or a parent does not speak English?