Friday, February 28, 2020
2020 Rochester Regional Science
and Engineering Fair
Friday, February 28, 2020
- Important Information for the day of the fair.
- Transportation: Middle School and High School (public) transportation to RCTC will be provided to the Fair on Friday morning only. Students should bring a bag lunch unless they have already registered to receive a boxed lunch from RPS food services. No lunch requests or changes are available at this time.
- All students need to make their own arrangements to be picked up between 3:15 p.m. and 3:45 p.m. on Friday, February 28 at the Regional Sports Center.
2. Display and Safety Check is mandatory. You will not be eligible to compete if your display does not pass the check. Complete guidelines: www.rochesterce.org/enrichment/youth/rrsef/guidelines.
- Pre-check your display for some of the most common violations: not having a credit line or cited sources for all visual images, including photographs, tables, charts, graphs; having sharp objects or edges on displays or equipment; including corporate brand name logos (i.e. Minute Maid, Miracle Gro); featuring the Mayo Clinic or IBM logo/name or including a mentor, research supervisor, or teacher name; featuring photos of anyone other than the student researcher without signed consent; using sand, soils, liquids, or food; or having active Internet connections at your booth (not in Airplane Mode).
3. Community viewing for this year’s Science Fair will be held from 2-2:30 p.m. on Friday, February 28. Students who wish to leave the Regional Sports Center after community viewing (but before the awards ceremony) may do so with written permission from the parent/guardian or the parent/guardian being present to pick up the student.
4. All students inside the exhibit hall during judging will need to wear a lanyard and name tag. All adults must have an official regional science fair lanyard to enter the exhibit hall during judging. Students will be disqualified if any parent/guardian is present during judging.
5. Students must be with their project for the entire judging session and should bring something quiet to do (i.e. novel, crosswords, or other puzzles) for times they are not being judged.
6. Students must remove their projects between 3:15 p.m. and 3:45 p.m. on Friday afternoon. Any projects remaining after this time will be discarded.
7. Awards Ceremony: State ribbons, “Top in Category” awards, and other local, regional and national awards will be announced during the Awards Ceremony starting at 2:30 at the RCTC Regional Sports Center.
- Students who attend the Awards Ceremony must be picked up by a parent/guardian no later than 3:45 p.m.
8. Volunteers for check-in, Display and Safety, and other arears are still needed. We encourage parents and guardians to help out at the Fair if they are able:
https://www.signupgenius.com/go/60b0e49aeae23a6fe3-fair2 for all day or a portion of the day.
|9:00 am||Check In||1st Floor Commons|
|9:15 am||Setup and “Display & Safety” Approval||Field House|
|10:00 am||Project Ribbon Judging||Field House|
|11:45 am||Lunch||Field House|
|12:15 pm||Special Award Judging||Field House|
|Peer Evaluation||Field House|
We See it in the Water
Kristen Dieterman and Tiffany Schauls
Minnesota Pollution Control Agency
|2:00 pm||Community Viewing||Field House|
|2:30 pm||Awards Ceremony*||Field House|
* Students attending the State Science Fair need to pick up important information from the Fair Director
|3:15 pm||Project Tear-Down||Field House|
As always, the RRSEF needs over 100 judges and event volunteers each year to make the day a success. Please consider supporting the Fair by signing up to judge or to serve as a volunteer today. We greatly appreciate your help!
Rochester Regional Science and Engineering Fair (RRSEF)
201 8th Street NW,
Rochester, Minnesota 55901
Science Review Committee Note and Meetings:
If your project involves Human Subjects, Vertebrate Animals, or Potential Hazards (materials, biological agents, devices, activities), you will likely need to attend a Scientific Review Committee (SRC) Meeting.
Unsure if your project requires a review at an SRC meeting? Complete the ISEF Rules Wizard.
for the RRSEF opens Monday, November 25, 2019.
received the USAID Global Human Development Award at ISEF in Phoenix, Arizona.
The Rochester Regional Science and Engineering Fair project poster and research paper presentations will take place February 28, 2020.
will take place March 25-28, 2020 at Benilde -St. Margaret's School in St. Louis Park.
RRSEF offers middle and high school students the opportunity for to showcase their STEM talents. Top projects are selected to participate in the MN State Science and Engineering Fair and the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair.
will take place May 10-15, 2020 in Anaheim, CA.