AI-Generated Art Showcase
Display Your Artwork at the STEM Fair!
The "Give a Second Glance" Art Showcase invites students to explore the intersection of art and artificial intelligence. Students will create artwork in conjunction with an artificial intelligence tool and write an artist statement which will be judged at the event. Through this creative and technical challenge, students are encouraged to "Give a Second Glance" and think critically about new technology. Artificial intelligence can be a powerful creative tool, but it raises potential issues including deception, bias, and theft of creative work. Students involved in the art showcase will develop a better understanding of this technology through creative expression.
- Read one or more of these articles:
- Art Made With Artificial Intelligence Wins at State Fair. Sarah Kuta. Smithsonian Magazine. 9/6/202
- AI art looks way too European. Neel Dhanesha. Vox. 10/19/2022
- How artists are hacking bias in algorithms. Barbara Gruber. Goethe Institut.
- Deepfakes: A new threat to image fabrication in scientific publications? Liansheng Wang, Lianyu Zhou, Wenxian Yang, Rongshan Yu. Patterns. 5/13/2022
- Submit your artwork and artist statement via zFairs or email to the STEM Fair Director (email@example.com)
- Extended Deadline: Friday, February 17th, 2023
- State your name, school, and grade
- Attach one PDF file, containing both your artwork and artist statement, up to four pages
- We will take your submission and set it up for display at the STEM Fair
- Students must register for the STEM Fair to participate in the art showcase
- Students must submit one PDF file, containing both artwork and an artist statement
- The page size of the PDF must be 8.5" x 11"
- Each page must be oriented vertically
- The artists statement must be no longer than 1 page
- The artwork must occupy no more than 3 pages
- Each artwork page must have the student's name on it
- Artwork must be created and submitted with permission of a parent/guardian
- Artwork must be created by the student, involving an Artificial Intelligence (AI) tool in some way. Images can be modified by the student throughout the process by other creative tools or software
- Artwork must not be created by sharing personal information or photos of people
- Artwork must not be created using logos or copyrighted material
- Parents/guardians must ensure that the student follows the terms of service of AI tools and software, including any age requirements
- Artwork must be appropriate for a school setting
- The student must have a license to freely share the artwork. (This is automatically provided by most AI tools available online)
- All software and AI tools used to create the artwork must be acknowledged in the artist statement
- The artist statement will be the only description provided to judges. Students will not be present to verbally explain their process to judges
Failure to follow these guidelines may result in the student's artwork not being displayed or judged.
Judges will award 1-4 points for each of the following aspects of the student's artwork and artist statement. Please note that the majority of points are awarded based on the artist statement.
- Do you find the artwork interesting or appealing?
- Did the student offer a compelling description of their goals or process related to the artwork?
- Did the student display a technical understanding of the software used to make the artwork?
- Did the student demonstrate technical skills while creating the artwork?
- Did the student write a thoughtful reflection (lessons learned, limitations, ethics, etc.)?
How to Create Art with AI
Avoid websites that require payment, creation of an account, have an age restriction, or do not provide a license to freely share your artwork. Below are two AI tools that students can use with parent/guardian permission that meet these requirements. They are easy to use and can generate original images within seconds.
Stable Diffusion Playground
stablediffusionweb.com - Enter a text prompt. Include specific details or an art style such as "anime." Click "Generate Image." Images generated will be based on what you wrote.
Diffuse the Rest
huggingface.co/spaces/huggingface-projects/diffuse-the-rest - Draw a picture or upload an image. Then enter a text prompt. Click "Diffuse the f rest." New images will be generated based on a combination of the original image and what you wrote.